Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY Par meters

Started by charlie, May 03, 2014, 09:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

This may be of interest to those who have the need of a par meter
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=623338

exv152

This might be a good buy for the club, as it benefits both planted tank folks and reefers alike.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on May 04, 2014, 04:47:42 PM
This might be a good buy for the club, as it benefits both planted tank folks and reefers alike.
or a great perk for a LFS to offer, they are all set up for deposits, rental fee & can expense it, not to mention the extra pair or 2 of legs in their store, but then again............

Stussi613

I've spoken to some of the sponsors and the general consensus is that buying a PAR meter, then "lending" or "renting" it out (with a deposit, and, or credit card on file) isn't really feasible.  It's an expensive piece of kit (can't see the one in the link without logging in) and they aren't willing to take the risk.  The other option would be to have it as a service, but really most people in Ottawa aren't willing to pay $50 to have someone come and do a PAR reading on a tank and it's not really worth it for the LFS's at less than that price (time, travel, gas etc).

I'm hoping that OVAS can figure out a way to do this (free for members and by donation or purchase of membership for non-members) but I don't see it happening unless more people volunteer to help the club.
I haz reef tanks.

sas

I agree with Stuart, can't see the rent/lend aspect, it's too much of a risk in this economy.
On the other hand it might be a good idea for a service to be offered by LFS, maybe?

JetJumper

Curious on what people would be willing to pay for a rental fee for say 1 weeks use?

Would people be willing to have a copy of their Drivers License or Valid Government Photo ID photocopied?

Would people be willing to have a hold placed on their credit cards

Would they be willing to sign a contract saying they are to return the equipment in the same condition it was rented out on and if not they agree to cover the full damages of said product?

.: JetJumper's Zone :.