Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone priced out getting acrylic sheets to build custom tanks locally?

Started by daworldisblack, May 09, 2014, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daworldisblack

Just toying with the idea of building some long tanks for breeding projects and also to scratch the DIY itch. I've had experience with Canus plastics for a school project but seemed like it wasn't the most cost effective. Anyone else looked into this? Getting a sheet and table-sawing it at home or getting it pre-cut to size etc. Would be a cool project me thinks but its largely reliant on whether it'll cost way more than store bought tanks.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

I once thought of it but never did the leg work.
If you go ahead I`ll be subd to your project :D

bandit

If your going down this route, get it pre cut. Your cuts have to be perfect and if you do it yourself you need a melt free carbide tooth blade. You will need to get some weld on 16 for gaps and I always use a fillet. Solvent bond the sheets with methylene chloride.

Caution methylene chloride is very toxic and causes cancer where gloves and a mask.

For prices I found Sabic polymer shapes to be best.

Eb0la

Quote from: bandit on May 09, 2014, 06:04:39 PM
Caution methylene chloride is very toxic and causes cancer where gloves and a mask.

What doesn't these days?  :P

uarujoey

What is the reason you want to build?

Primarily to save money?

If that's the case, you wont.

You wont save money on small tanks. Unless you are building 6+ of them. Even then, the savings is off set by the time and supplies you put into it. You'll break even.

When you build bigger tanks you save a LOT of money though.

Sounds like you have a specific use for these tanks though.. if they call for specific dimensions and needs, then DIY is obviously the answer.

9 out of 10 times, when i build a tank, it has nothing to do with the cost and everything to do with my needs. Saving money doesnt happen every time, but when it does i see it as a bonus.

Start off by calling every acrylic supplier within a 1 hour radius. Calculate all costs, and then move forward with it if you feel it is the way to go.

Shawn84

Since you are looking to do multiple tank see if the lfs will give you a discount on buying many at once. Some of them might just gotta ask. Like Joey said acrylic can be costly if doing just small tank. Cause I price some out a while back and it's just as expensive if not more then buying pre-made tank.

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

daworldisblack

Thanks for the response guys!

Quote from: bandit on May 09, 2014, 06:04:39 PM
If your going down this route, get it pre cut. Your cuts have to be perfect and if you do it yourself you need a melt free carbide tooth blade. You will need to get some weld on 16 for gaps and I always use a fillet. Solvent bond the sheets with methylene chloride.

For prices I found Sabic polymer shapes to be best.

Thanks yep that was the game plan - thanks for the tip on Sabic, did not know of them.

Quote from: uarujoey on May 10, 2014, 11:23:56 AM
What is the reason you want to build?

Primarily to save money?

If that's the case, you wont.

You wont save money on small tanks. Unless you are building 6+ of them. Even then, the savings is off set by the time and supplies you put into it. You'll break even.

When you build bigger tanks you save a LOT of money though.

Sounds like you have a specific use for these tanks though.. if they call for specific dimensions and needs, then DIY is obviously the answer.

9 out of 10 times, when i build a tank, it has nothing to do with the cost and everything to do with my needs. Saving money doesnt happen every time, but when it does i see it as a bonus.

Start off by calling every acrylic supplier within a 1 hour radius. Calculate all costs, and then move forward with it if you feel it is the way to go.

Its not really to save money - just for exploring a different aspect of the hobby I suppose. My comment on $$ previously was really just to ask if it'd cost way more (twice, thrice?) to build one then buy one in cost of materials. Time-wise, I'm happy to work on it since its more of a relaxing thing to do.

I guess you also save tonnes if you build odd-ball/novel/niche sizes and thats part of the goal here. I did see your videos on Acrylic and was very useful so thanks for posting those!

Quote from: Shawn84 on May 10, 2014, 05:06:14 PM
Since you are looking to do multiple tank see if the lfs will give you a discount on buying many at once. Some of them might just gotta ask. Like Joey said acrylic can be costly if doing just small tank. Cause I price some out a while back and it's just as expensive if not more then buying pre-made tank.

Thanks Shawn - yep Ken mentioned just getting some standard ones in via a LFS but I dont think I need the numbers that is required for it to make sense to the LFS. At the same time, I also think it might be a fun project. Fun = takes longer sometimes but may be worth it in that sense. Who did you check with when you were doing your price checks?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!