Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New 65g substrate and paint questions..

Started by dobergoat, January 13, 2015, 01:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dobergoat

okay so first question:
The tank has paint on the black rim. Other then scraping it off with a blade any other method to remove the paint? There's alot and I'm scraping the black plastic and it's not looking awesome.

Question 2. I'm planning a 65g low-tech tank. Finnex fugeray light, Eheim Ecco ( can't remember the number). The tank will house 2 angles, some glowlight tetra's and cories, I want a val forest section, open sand area for the cories and a cave thingy...

I'm stuck on what to do for substate. My 40g has fluvial capped with sand for the cories - but the fluvial is coming up through the sand and I have to keep sucking it out on waterchanges... very annoying.

I was thinking doing a dirt tank capped with play sand - but will this be to rich for my lower light/no CO2 tank? If soil what do people use? I have a 10g with topsoil that I collected from my property, but it's a bit cold and frozen to dig with a shovel right now.

I want to be sure the cories have sand to dig through so I don't think fluvial will work or Eco-complete, or can you cap those with sand? will they poke through? I tend to be the plant it and forget it type so I don't move my plants around much once I put them in.

thanks

Got Fish?

Have you thought about Africana by ada? It's a nice substrate. Heat up the paint with a hair dryer it should come off with a blade easier. Good luck and don't forget the pictures. We all love pictures  ;)

exv152

You can also go dirt capped with sand. But you don't want to go any deeper than an inch or so of dirt. Dirt is not too rich for any plants, if it's capped it'll work just fine. I'd avoid using dirt from your yard and go with a commercially available product some folks use for aquarium dirt - "miracle grow organic choice potting mix". It won't have large chunks of wood or debris that can lead to gas pockets.  
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

dobergoat

I would love to do the ADA but its to costly, way to fancy for me.
I just picked up some pool sand and I'll try and find some OMG...that acronym seems wrong...MGOPS?

And I will totally try the dryer! thanks! Once I have something other then an empty tank on the floor covered in paint I'll start taking pictures. I should have done that for my 40g. I have no idea what I have in there now. I'm horrible with latin names.

dobergoat

Woo hoo. The dryer thing really worked!! Thanks so much.

Now to finished scraping off the glass...

sas

Can't wait to see what you end up doing. Feel free to post your build in the Freshwater Tank Builds section of the Forum.  We all love pics!

dobergoat

Will do. Maybe this time I'll be able to remember what I put into the tank :)

Still no progress. Trying to figure out where to put the tank...I just learnt that 2 tanks in one room is one to many, who knew!

I've decide to go with soil and sand, been reading about using clay balls inbetween, still not sure what the point is.

Long term I want some emergent plants as well.
Ordering wood, need to find some rock ( I like rocks), and plants I need lots of plants.

Got Fish?

We have lots of Val to give away if your after some. That's about all I have left. Only one tank in a room is certainly not enough!!  ;)

dobergoat

I was actually thinking of doing 1/3 of the tank in Val's!! Might have to take you up on that! I love them.
So simple and grow so fast without any help. Just need to put some type of divider so I can try and control them.

dobergoat

Thanks, Holly picked them up, going to put them in the tank tomorrow when my rock solid frozen sand thaws...

Got Fish?

About time this thing had water in it! Stop drinking and partying and "git er done!" :)