Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Loach size and care

Started by ajm1961, February 20, 2015, 03:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajm1961

I purchased 3 of these little guys from one of our friendly local fish stores. I was told they were "dwarf chain loaches" (Ambastaia sidthimunki), but based on my research it really looks more like a polka dot loach (Botia kubotai).

What I'm worried about is the size differences between these two species. I thought I was getting maximum 2.5 inch loaches, but instead these could grow up to 5 inches!

Does anyone else have experience with polka dot loaches? How big do they really get, how fast, and any issues I should be aware of? (community behaviors)

Here's a quick pic of one of them - they move quickly and constantly so they are hard to snap!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

robt18

Loaches really depend on the species and diet. If you have a load of snails in your tank, they'll be full size in no time. They can hold their ground against much bigger fish, but don't typically instigate if they have enough space/territory.

I think you should be ok with them, even if they turn out to be the polka dots.

sas

Very nice fish, love loaches.

ajm1961

Found these pictures of the two species in question...

First picture is a Dwarf Chain Loach (Ambastaia sidthimunki)
Second is a Polka Dot loach (Botia kubotai)

Clearly mine looks more like the latter...

exv152

I've been on verge of buying these guys a few times to keep my snail population in check. Nice looking fish! On this link here some have reported they can get as big as 6", http://badmanstropicalfish.com/stats/loach_stats/stats_loach_kubotai.html
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

robt18

Oh yeah I forgot to mention - they look more like polka dots - pretty much 100% sure, especially after seeing the Latin name.

sanny

Best Loach so far is a Yo-Yo Loach, hands down.

sanny

I have one that is 4", man is it ever beautiful.

ajm1961

YoYo loach... any pics from your tank?

sanny

Not sure how to upload a picture.

zenins

Quote from: ajm1961 on February 21, 2015, 07:28:21 AM
Found these pictures of the two species in question...

First picture is a Dwarf Chain Loach (Ambastaia sidthimunki)
Second is a Polka Dot loach (Botia kubotai)

Clearly mine looks more like the latter...

Hey Andre,

For sure you do not have Dwarf Chain Loaches, I think your ID of Kubotai Polka Dot Loaches is correct.
The Polka Dot Loaches will generally grow to 10cm (4 inches).
In the event that they grow bigger and that causes issues in your aquarium,
I am sure there will be a willing buyer who would love to have them at that size
;)

Good Luck and enjoy their behaviour :)
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

mm

Andre-

I sent you a pm with some information on Botia Kubotai from by book on loaches.

fischkopp

I have a few sidthimunki, one of the nicer loaches if you ask me. They stay small and show no aggression towards each other or any tank habitants for that matter. And they are active, yet less erratic then it's bigger botia cousins. They don't care much about snails though.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

zenins

Hey Andre,

How are your kubotai loaches doing these days ?
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

angelcraze

Your loaches are juvenile polkadots for sure, as they mature, the yellow dots will separate more.  I used to get the juvies mixed up all the time, but after I lost a $50 bet, I know better now  :-[

I know those yo-yo loaches eat MTS, don't know about polkadots botia, I would think the larger botia species like clown loaches would be better at it.
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!