Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

sponge filters

Started by Jim, December 12, 2005, 09:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

If i were to setup three 5.5gals and run these corner filters http://mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cshop/FSVT-8901.html?L+scstore+llbg1975ffb7fab7+1134439763
$12

And powering them with this air pump http://mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cshop/APAF-702C.html?L+scstore+llbg1975ffb7fab7+1134440500
$40

Total $ 58.57
Will it be sufficient?

Or will i be better of using three AC minis in terms of money cost?

Any other suggestions?

Lets say the tanks are going to be used for guppy fry so there is not a really big waste load going to be put out.

THANKS
Jim

darkdep

IMHO, you'd be fine with that setup.  Sponge filters are ideal for fry tanks as there is no risk of them getting sucked up.

Jim

yep that was mainly my though on the sponge filters.

Anyone know off the top of thier head how much AC minis are?

Mettle

I believe they're $23.99 with all media (sponge, carbon and biomax) at Super Pet. (Discount if you are an OVAS member.)

There's other options for sponge filtration as well and pumps that wouldn't cost you nearly as much as the one you showed...

Jim

What other pump would you reccomend?

Mettle

Something that's not $40, heh.

I wouldn't know what brand to recommend though, to be honest... I never use them or have had a reason to do so.

Or post an ad in the classifieds and see if you can get something used for reasonably cheap... There's a couple people who've been cleaning out their stuff as of late (aSmallFish and Nelson). So opportunities abound!

sarahbella

they have a pump with a filter unit at walmart for $15.  If your setup is a fry tank this will be more than adequate.  I use one in my 5.5 and its sufficient.  the filter takes refil cartridges that come 2/$3 .  i have modified my filter cartridge so i can just replace with filter floss/ammo chips/carbon.  

you can pick up a a tri valve splitter thingy for cheap and pick up a couple corner filters for about $2 each and run them off the same pump.  Definitely sufficient for fry..

Jim

sarabella,

can all the filters off that one pump?

i think i've seen them there at Wal-mart.

sarahbella

yes if you buy some tubing and a splitter.  I was a little skeptical at first but that little pump is pretty powerful and if you're on a tight budget i dont think you'll find cheaper.  :)  

And if you need filter floss you wont find it in the pet department at walmart but you can buy a big 1lb bag of polyester fiberfill in the craft/sewing dept for less than $4 and it is HUGE and works beautifully in the corner filters....  :)

james

Hi
I use sponge fiters in all my tanks and do not have a problem. The advanage to them over the ac filters is the hydro cost. One pump can run 3-4 tanks . You need 3-4 separate ac filters one per tank.

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

kennyman

That corner filter sure is cheep! I guess you could put some sponge in it, but I think it's designed for floss. I have a Lustor Hydro sponge filter runing my 37g tall and I am quite happy with how well it has worked the N cycle. But I think the lustar is about 3x the cost. It also has a weighted bottom that I like because the thing stays put, Stuff floating around drives me nutts ;)

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22201;category_id=1725;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

Jim

Ok thanks everyone!

I'll have to make a trip to wal-mart.

sarahbella

i just remembered!!  

Be careful when you open the pump/filter package if you get the walmart special.  There is a very small flow adjustment valve thingy in there.  I opened the package and mine flew out cuz i didnt know it was there...  luckily i found it, it's very useful...

Jim

ok thatks very much sarahbella!

NjOyRiD

hey jim, can you post pictures after you'll be done? I'd liek to see whats gonna look like, thanx
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Jim

It may be in a while but i definitely will.

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Jim

no prob.

If this does go through i will have a 55gal stand or a DIY stand with three 5.5gal on the top and two 20gal on the bottom of the stand for breeding guppies and maby other fish later on.

I'm also thinking of painting the backgrounds blue. Any good pain for doing this?

And i'll put a 4 foot light strip from home depot on top that covers all the 5.5gals and the 20gals.

Jim

sarahbella

If you are using flouros for the lights you'll need to consider heaters for your tanks.  If you go with incandescent lights you will probably eliminate the need for heaters as they produce a lot of heat....   its just one small thing you can do to reduce the total cost of the project :)  

I have incandescent fixture that came with my 5.5gal and i dont need a heater, the water is always warm.  I run a flouro fixture from a 33gal over my 5gal & 10gal and need additional heat for my fry...