Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium Heater Question

Started by FishBuddy, December 28, 2005, 08:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishBuddy

Hi Everyone,

Now that I am really into setting up my African tank :-), I have a question about heaters......  I bought a Jager 250w from BA a while back and I remembered asking someone there whether it is safe to **fully submerse** this heater.  The answer which I got is 'Yes, it is'...  However, most of the heaters out there, with the exception of a few, clearly indicated that we do not submerse it fully....  

I was also told that most heaters sold in Canada by law (the CSA law that is), have to clearly indicate a maximum fill line on each heater.  Failure to do so would not pass the CSA standard safety checks.

Now, I am lost...   :?   The heater indicated to us **not** to submerse the thing and people just kind of do it anyway...  What are your thoughts on this????

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

darkdep

I have a Jager on my 90gal.  I didn't intend to submerge it but it slipped in the cups and I discovered it one day underwater.  Seems fine, but I'm more comfortable with it out of the water.

BigDaddy

All of my heaters, Jagers, Visitherms even Tronics, are all fully submersed.

Rena is the only heater I know of that is CERTIFIED as fully submersible by the CSA.  That doesn't mean you can't submerse the others, it just means the companies in question have not (for whatever reason) submitted their product for CSA approval.

That being said, I've never had a problem in my years of fish keeping.

Iceman

I've got a real fear of putting electrical wires into water. Just does not seem right to me. I know it is done, but I can't bring myself to do it.

AdamR

I was told that it is not certified submersible in Canada because there is a tiny space for air in the electrical cable, I was then told unofficially that I could put it under water.

james

Hi
Unless the heater is completely seal or is one solid piece . I usually keep the top of the heater (plactic cap) above the water line. I have had several Tronic heaters that got submerged by accident and notice some moisture getting into the tube.

Normally I change all my heaters every 3 years. I also occationally rotate the controller working them back and forth to prevent .

Also I tend to use smaller heaters that is required. This way if the heater goes wackie I have a little safety zone and don't boil everything in the tank.

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

kennyman

I have five submersable heaters. 4 of them are hagen thermals and the other is a wisper. Only one of those heaters has a line on it with directions "Do not immerse beyond this point". It is a Hagen thermal submersable heater. I sent an email to hagen asking what the deal was, selling a submersable heater with "do not immerse' written on it. They never replied.

I bought BD's explaination when I asked about this here a few months back and it certianly seems to work underwater just aswell as the others do ;)

darkdep

Personally I've never seen a reason to submerge them myself :)

FishBuddy

Wow...  Thanks to all of you for your input........   Since the majority of the population said it is ok (including the guy at BA), I guess I'll go ahead and submerge mine....

Oh Darkdep, the reason I wanted mine to be submerged is because I want to hide the heater behind the layer of rockpile of my tank....  Also, I wanted to mount the heater horizontally instead of vertically....

[/li]

darkdep

FishBuddy

Hey Darkdep,

I can see that you are currently breeding Peacocks...  Hmmm, do you normally sell them later on???  If so, perhaps I'll get some from you :-)    Those Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi sure looks nice; at least the ones I saw on the web.....

Sorry, I can't have any Africans in my tank now (even though I am desperately wanted to!).  I am just starting the cycling process....  I got my tank back in June and I am just starting to put rocks and equipment in it now :-(  Man, talking about being ever slow; I am a clear winner here....

[/li]

darkdep

Fishbuddy:  I'm a "new" breeder; I am still really gearing up.  The Jacob's were just born, mine are less than 2 weeks old at this point.  It's gonna be a while before they are ready.  They will be available for sale, yes.

If you want to get some, I would suggest you talk to pegasus on this forum; he breeds them as well (as well as a LOT of other types) and usually has lots ready to go.

NjOyRiD

Quote from: "darkdep"Personally I've never seen a reason to submerge them myself :)

me, I like they submerged cuz i dont have to unplugged them whrn I do my waterchnages :)
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Aiglos

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"
Quote from: "darkdep"Personally I've never seen a reason to submerge them myself :)

me, I like they submerged cuz i dont have to unplugged them whrn I do my waterchnages :)

A good reason to submerge is to place them low as warm water rises; if I do not do this my water is quite warmer on the top of the water compared to the bottum.  Good convection going on.

FishBuddy

Aiglos, that's the reason why I wanted to submerse the thing near the bottom and align it horizontally; warm water rises....

[/li]

Iceman

I place the filter output close to the heater to distribute the heated water about the tank.

FishBuddy

Iceman, actually I have thought about the filter output as well.  However, I got this idea of building an underwater jet system from a fella over at another cichlid forum.  And I liked to try out neat things....  So, I've gotten 2 Maxijet 900's from BA and around 16 feet of 1/2 inch pvc water pipes from Rona and built the system myself....  Each of the Maxijet has 2 output nozzles; one on each end of the tank.  The intention here is to take the water from one corner of the tank and distribute it to another corner of the tank.  That way, water temperature throughout the tank is evenly distributed and eliminates cold/warm spots.

I haven't got it running yet but it looks promising :-)  Wish me luck !!!

[/li]

Jim

LUCK.

I've seen that it looks cool.

Nerine

if you take the same heater that says do not submerge and buy it in the usa, it says fully submersible. gotta love the nit picking of laws etc
mine says do not submerge yet it says on the box "fully submersible".  and it's still in the box hehe
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts