Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Resealing aquarium - which silicone to use

Started by kyonis, September 14, 2024, 02:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyonis

It has been many many years since I was on the form. Hope it is still as active as before :-).

I am resealing a 30 g tank that had a pin drop leak last year. I already cleaned the tank and removed the old silicon on the inside of the tank.

I went to get silicon but although I found the DAP mono 100% silicon at Home Depot, it says on the back not recommended for extended underwater use. They have only one item marked aquarium safe but it is in small tubes.

I saw that a few on the form attempted to reseal their tanks so I wanted to ask if I can use the regular 100% silicon tubes from home depot or not? What did u use?

Jody

Hi Kyonis,

You can use any straight silicone. I have gotten the clear one from home depot or rona before.
It used to be called GE1, but they have changed it now and I don't know exactly what they call it anymore.

You can also get caulking gun tubes of aquarium silicone at Big Al's in clear or black for $19.99 (only a couple bucks more than the home depot these days.).

Jody

kyonis

Thank you Jody,

I just found the GE selection 1 at Canadian Tire so I got a tube. I just finished applying it and hopefully it all goes well once dry. I'll wait until it cures before I test it.

Wish me luck :-)