New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Who here was is first time to the meeting?

Started by NjOyRiD, January 23, 2006, 11:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

ME ME ME :D
and it was fun!
I liked the video

Now I want an Emperor Cichlid, a big puffer, a turtle..and my gf wants the animal thats swim fast! lolol hah I'm just joking!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

darkdep

The video was GREAT!  I finally got to see a Synodontis Multipunctatus group and their very unique mating behaviour.  Very cool.  

I also want to cheese off my dwarf puffers after seeing the duel between the puffer and the otter.  :lol:

Nelson

I also enjoyed the video.  I was amazed to know that the Lake T. is up to 4 miles deep in places :shock:  Thanks Colin, Sean.

apistome

2nd time at at meeting and I managed to get my partner to come as well.

great shots/edits of the otters and the commorants hunting. The part about the catfish eggs getting scooped up with the cichlids was tragic.

Really enjoyed the  video!

darkdep

Tragic, yes, but a VERY interesting breeding behaviour...course I'm biased because I keep some of those catfish :)

Would love to breed them someday, but a LOT of work, money, and space required for very small fry batches (you only get like, 3-4 fry out of a batch)

apistome

what kind of cichlid was the "host" fish. do you keep those?

kennyman

The video was great fun. It was a good show and thanks for putting it on :D

NjOyRiD

i didnt know Synodontis Multipunctatus was a schooling fish
Hey guys, the black one with white on it, you know what it was?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

darkdep

Syno's are not really "schooling" fish per se; but they are more comfortable in groups a lot of the time.  I have 1 wild 7" one and 2 3" ones...they live seperately but seem to group up at feeding time.

Not sure what the host was in the video; but they will work with many kinds of host fish.

NjOyRiD

370g System

PaleoFishGirl

It was a really neat video - even though they were anthropomorphizing all of the animals, but that's what Nat. Geo. does, I guess.

I really wonder how much footage they had to show an hour's worth of all of those great shots.  They must have had several cameras, both above and below the water, to follow what was going on with the fish chases, the otters, the birds, etc.  Very cool!

mseguin

The only black and white cichlid I remember was a Tropheus.
As for breeding the Syno's, you might want to talk to Jody, as he has bred S. petricola, which from my reading may or may not be a cuckold spawner.
The video was quite interesting, even though they made a lot of dogmatic evolutionary statements they have next to no evidence for.

oenology

I enjoyed the shots they got of the fish and other wildlife. Commentary was a bit weak. I recognised a lot of the fish but not all. It would have been nice to have been given at least their common names if it exists or better yet the scienticif names for the fish. The black and white striped one looked like a tretocephalus but I have no idea which was which (eatee/eator)

mseguin

That's National Geographic, great pictures, scientific content on the dumbed down side.

Mettle

I missed the meeting :(  Between getting the criminal law exam back last night (big disappointment, btw) and the election - fish were very far from my mind!

Can anyone pass along the title of the film shown?

james

Hi
Had to go home to fetch a heater. Missed the last part of the video.
What is the name of the vdeo and can it be borrowed at the library

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

mseguin

It was called Jewel (or Jewels) of the Rift I beleive. Contact Colin to borrow it.

darkdep

mseguin

Nope, check the OVAS front page, his email will be there.

Marc

You can reach Colin at