Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

May OVAS Meeting

Started by BigDaddy, April 25, 2006, 09:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddy

Just a reminder that the meeting for May will be on May 29, not May 22, due to the Victoria Day long weekend.

The program will include the elections for the 2006-2007 season, the completion of the plant contest and the home show

Homeshow entrants please feel free to post your intention to participate as soon as possible.

az

will try to make it this time and meet you all!

cheers!
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Seanc

can you poast what positions will be open, and who has been nominated/applied for them,
thanks
sean

BigDaddy

All positions are up for grabs.  That's why they are elections   8)

The following members have indicated they will not be running for executive positions this coming term:

President
Secretary
Auctioneer
Social Convener

and the following positions are currently vacant

Corporate and Public Affairs
Newsletter

I will only speak for myself, in saying that I will be running for President, leaving the Vice President position vacant

I have personally been approached by 3 current OVAS members about their interest in running for certain positions.  I believe other members of the exec have also had a few people express some interest.

torch89

Hi!  Coming into town and would like to attend your May 2006 meeting.  Could anyone tell me where, when, and what will be happening at this meeting/discussion topics.  Appreciate it.   Thanks in advance.

torch89

Is there anyone heading to the May 2006 meeting who might be able to offer a drive to someone from out of town who will be staying in Orleans??  If so, email
Thanks

Sue

Quote from: torch89 on May 22, 2006, 05:46:18 PM
.Could anyone tell me where, when, and what will be happening at this meeting/discussion topics.

where:
"The OVAS meets at the Jack Purcell Community Centre at 320 Jack Purcell Lane in downtown Ottawa (near the intersection of Gilmour and Elgin). Click Here for a map." when: 7 pm
what: Sean already gave description at start of thread.
The home show contest is video tour of member's tanks that will be shown.
Plant contest: plants were given out earlier in the year, the best one will be picked at this meeting.

UCGrafix

A few more specifications to help out the first time attendees such as myself please.

Since the Jack Purcell Community Center has more than one room and event happening on that night, could it be specified as to where the meeting takes place in the building ?

A little info on to where a good place to park would be nice as well ?

I read that a mini auction takes place on the meeting days, will there be one on that night, if so, how does one bring in the supplies to sell, and how does it work, and what should I expect ?

Regards,
Denis : )

BigDaddy

Quote from: UCGrafix on May 24, 2006, 11:03:02 AM
A few more specifications to help out the first time attendees such as myself please.

Since the Jack Purcell Community Center has more than one room and event happening on that night, could it be specified as to where the meeting takes place in the building ?

Second floor right beside the elevator.  Room 201 I believe.  The main reception will also be able to advise you, and they have a chalkboard of all meetings happening that night

QuoteA little info on to where a good place to park would be nice as well ?

You can park on Jack Purcell lane in some public spots, or in the Jack Purcell lot if you go in and ask the receptionist for a parking pass

QuoteI read that a mini auction takes place on the meeting days, will there be one on that night, if so, how does one bring in the supplies to sell, and how does it work, and what should I expect ?

Regards,
Denis : )

Bag and label all items you wish to sell.  If bagging fish, please do not bag them in "sandwich" bags, as they leak easily.  Number all your items with your initials and a number.  List off all items numbers and descriptions on a sheet of paper (or one we can provide you at the meeting) and submit that to the auctioneer prior to the start of the meeting.

What should you expect?  Expect to have fun   :)

artw

Jack Purcell is on 320 Elgin street. there is parking at the centre but you have to get there early.   the receptionist will give you a ticket to put in your window.  Alternately there is lots of parking on the street.
The meeting place is upstairs in room 201,  you get there by taking the elevator or the stairs, its pretty clear which room belongs to us, just follow the other 75 people with aquarium supplies.

editted to add this. you can do what Big Daddy said as well, because we posted this at the same time.  but don't give your item list to the auctioneer, LOL, give it to me, because I have the laptop that I enter everything in to.

and to clarify because Big Daddy is sometimes confusing ;) the item numbers are like this, but obviously you would substitute AW for your initials.  each item has a different number.

AW1 Java Fern
AW2 Stuff
AW3 a bag of fish,
etc, etc,

for the mini auction, just see me, because I am the Auction Chairman, and I will get you set up with labels if you don't have any and registration.

PaleoFishGirl

So, what happened at the meeting last night? Fill me in, please! :D

BigDaddy

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on May 30, 2006, 09:06:03 AM
So, what happened at the meeting last night? Fill me in, please! :D

Well Ms. VP:

Jack Purcell had a power failure so we had to hold the meeting outdoors.

We started with the auction to take advantage of the daylight, and as the auction was wrapping up, they got power restored to the building.  After a very quick cake and coffee session, we all took our chairs upstairs and held a very quick election and managed to get the homeshow in and finished up the meeting just before 10.

garnpet won the plant contest... but your plant was likely the second biggest.  babbelfish's 13 feet o' fishwall won him the freshwater/planted category in the homeshow...

artw

yes it was an interesting meeting to say the least.  thank God the thunderstorm held off until after the Meeting.   BD you forgot Gmann who won African and of course Nelson with his spectacular reef tank.

nelson

Quote from: art-wuh on May 30, 2006, 09:23:12 AM
yes it was an interesting meeting to say the least.  thank God the thunderstorm held off until after the Meeting.   BD you forgot Gmann who won African and of course Nelson with his spectacular reef tank.

Thanks Art...I'm humbled...wish I could have made the very eventful meeting.