Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

my new 48 (garnpet's old one)

Started by PaleoFishGirl, May 07, 2006, 07:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoFishGirl

garnpet needed to get his 48 gallon out of the way so he could bask in the glory of his new 108... so we decided to drag it up from his basement, across town, and then up 2 really steep flights of stairs to my place on Friday night!   :o  :o  :o  I didn't even have to pay his chiropractor bill (yet) ;)

Everything seems to be working just fine, though it is quite wobbly... I just don't have the energy to drain it and shore it up better (that's terrible, I know).  It looks so empty, but currently contains:

1 HUGE Amazon sword & lots of straight Val, along with a couple of teeny-tiny red lotus bulbs (all garnpet's leftovers)

16 WCMM
3 horseface loaches (Acantopsis choirorhynchus) - pretty sure now that they aren't sand loaches Matt, see the pic
3 Emperor tetras (Nematobrycon palmeri)
and 10 (11?) of the sweetest little wild-caught Aspidoras sp.
(all of the fish from the OVAS get-together at BA Innes on Saturday ;) ).

I'm thinking about emptying everything from my 29 into it too and selling the 29, because there is certainly not a lot of space in my apartment... but maybe not ;)  Any ideas on what else I should put in here if I don't add my rainbows etc.?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Seanc

wow look great, good to hear that there arn't anyu exodons in ther ;).
16 WCMM? what are thoughs. i like the big sword. good luck with it! i like the substrate! i never thought i would say that about a multi colored substrate.

Quatro

WCMM = White Cloud Mountain Minnow

PaleoFishGirl

LOL nope, no Exodons... did you get them yet?
Thanks, I like the substrate too - it's actually black & white, but the black looks blue in that loach pic.

RoxyDog

nice!  more jealousy for me...damn I need to get me a bigger tank!!  ;D
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

garnpet

Looks good!   :)

I will however say that those were the two steepest and longest staircases I have every had to carry a tank up!   :-\  I'm busy whenever you decide to move!   ;)
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

PaleoFishGirl

I think I'll be busy too :D  If I move out of here, the tank is staying LOL.

Seanc

actualy i'm seting up the 36 tomoro, i think i'm going to steal a bunch of plants from upstairs, and put them in, then next week, probly near the end i will put them in and i will be up to a grand total of 4 tanks runing in my bedroom at once, coming to a grand total of 101gal, man my mom isn't gunna like thoughs numbers ;) what type of lighting do you have on that tank? and how long is it?

PaleoFishGirl

it's a 48" Coralife with 4x 6500K CFs

garnpet

Hmmm..  How about a Coralife 2 x 65W 6500K CF

PaleoFishGirl

BigDaddy

I hope there is some CO2 making its way into that tank...

PaleoFishGirl

BigDaddy

No rush.. but you are borderline....   :P

garnpet

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on May 08, 2006, 02:28:55 PM
ummm.... I'm getting there  :-[

I hear you.  It's sitting in my basement right now.  I'll try to get it over to you soon!   :o

PaleoFishGirl

LOL this reads like I told BigDaddy to post that to get your butt in gear, Peter ;)

artw

garnpet

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on May 08, 2006, 03:22:46 PM
LOL this reads like I told BigDaddy to post that to get your butt in gear, Peter ;)

Trying my best...  I am still tired from single handedly lugging that 48 gallon up the 10 flights of stairs and then having to move it when it was full of water because you didn't like the location (princess).   :D

luvfishies

In the meantime, you can do a Jell-o version of DIY CO2

For tanks larger than about 30g, DIY isn't all that effective, and having a good method of getting it into the water is vital, as well.

You will need
2L pop bottle WITH cap
airline tubing
Yeast
Sugar
clear, unflavoured gelatin (I get mine at a bulk food store)
OPTIONAL: Food colouring (makes it easier to tell when the mixture is "used up")

Add 2c sugar to the pop bottle, and enough hot water to completely dissolve it.
1 TBSP of the gelatin, in 1/2 Cup COLD water, to swell it. (takes about 5 mins).

Add the gelatin to the sugar/water mix and shake well. Add enough cold water to fill the bottle just to where the neck starts to round, prior to narrowing. Add food colouring at this point, if wanted.

Stick bottle in the fridge to "set".

You can do a few of these at a time, and they will be ready to use, with the addition of 1/2 tsp yeast, and a little warm water on top of the gelatin mix.

Drill a hole in the cap, and thread/silicone/glue the airline tubing through the hole, leaving the end well above the mixture (so as to not have the yeast mix overflow into the tank). Place the other end into a suitable diffuser.

This mix lasts about 4-6 weeks, and delivers a nice slow steady stream of CO2, unlike the liquid reactors that go like crazy the first few days, then peter off rapidly.

So, once again, when you're ready for a new reactor, just take one of the premixed/set gelatine bottles, add a little warm water, and 1/2 tsp yeast. Swirl gently, cap, and use.

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: garnpet on May 08, 2006, 06:58:30 PM
Trying my best...  I am still tired from single handedly lugging that 48 gallon up the 10 flights of stairs and then having to move it when it was full of water because you didn't like the location (princess).   :D

:o I guess you don't want anybody to know how you made me carry all the heavy gravel pails up the stairs while you carried the box of glass?  >:(

;D ;D ;D