Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

my new 48 (garnpet's old one)

Started by PaleoFishGirl, May 07, 2006, 07:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mseguin

Garnpet, tell her she should get a husband to do that for her.  ;D

darkdep

Luvfishes:  What an interesting idea...have you done this yourself?  (Gelatin mod)  This would make a great article if it works (hint hint)

garnpet

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on May 08, 2006, 10:29:54 PM
:o I guess you don't want anybody to know how you made me carry all the heavy gravel pails up the stairs while you carried the box of glass?  >:(
;D ;D ;D

I thought that was our little secret.   ::)
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

luvfishies

Quote from: DarkDep on May 08, 2006, 10:39:59 PM
Luvfishes:  What an interesting idea...have you done this yourself?  (Gelatin mod)  This would make a great article if it works (hint hint)

Yeah, I do this and it works great!

I've got it saved in Documents on the puter, so it would be easy to tweak into an article.

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: mseguin on May 08, 2006, 10:39:09 PM
Garnpet, tell her she should get a husband to do that for her.  ;D

Grrrrr.... 

darkdep

Quote from: luvfishies on May 08, 2006, 11:08:34 PM
Yeah, I do this and it works great!

I've got it saved in Documents on the puter, so it would be easy to tweak into an article.

Please do...or just throw it our way and one of the editors can do the tweaking.  Very original.

BigDaddy

Quote from: DarkDep on May 08, 2006, 11:19:04 PM
Please do...or just throw it our way and one of the editors can do the tweaking.  Very original.

Actually, its a very common practice for "veteran" DIY'ers.  By binding the sugar in gelatin, it is a more "slow release" process for the yeast to get at it.  Plus... its a lot easier to make mutliple batches and have 'em at the ready when its time to switch bottles.

PaleoFishGirl

I will definitely give it a try, thanks!  :)

Seanc

i have used this method befor, it works pritty well, but i like the yeast and sugar method more, easyer to make

luvfishies

Quote from: Seanc on May 09, 2006, 10:39:05 AM
i have used this method befor, it works pritty well, but i like the yeast and sugar method more, easyer to make

There's literally one extra step to the Jell0 version, and that's swelling the gelatin. Plus you can do like 6 bottles at a time, and keep them in the fridge until needed. As you use one, just make another and stick it in the fridge.

I've always got at least 2 bottles in the fridge, ready to go. He he of course they're labelled, NOT POP! Don't drink!

darkdep

Wow, I've never heard of this before.  This is great.

babblefish1960

It occurs to me that this lovely tank that developed so well with plants and strange fish and snails, is now no longer garnpets, but not paleofishgirls either, it is now sas's new tank, good luck with it sassafras, it has good karma from all that good fishiness that went before. ;)

plecoL83

Oh man where'd you get those loaches??

sas

This is wonderful, thankyou babble for posting this. I've been searching old posts trying to find some history of this tank since PFG did say it had belonged to a another member before her. Just goes to show you that my search skills are less than stellar!
        Yes I have PFG's 48g and all her fishes and yes all the plants which I'm enjoying immensely. The only plant that suffered from the move was a small Anubias attached to a piece of drift wood. It was too tall for the pail and dried out a bit, but seems to be coming around slowly.
        The only exciting bit of news I can tell you from the move( other than panting after doing the stairs lol) is PFG couldn't find one of the Banjo catfish. Well we also had a very large piece of driftwood we placed in a garbage bag for the trip home. Well as would happen the catfish made the hour trip home( very fast trip by the way  ::)), inside that piece of driftwood. While planting and arranging he decided  to flop out of the wood onto the floor poor fellow. Scared the bejeebers out of me and caused the betterhalf to come running, thinking I had smashed the tank  ;D. The little fellow did survive thankgoodness!
       I've got the CO2 running and using Barr's EI dosing and the plants are perking up nicely. I had an extra coralife light kicking around so I've put that on the tank as well as the one that PFG sold me. Probably way too much light but I do love the plants and sh...don't tell hubby(the hydro bill will be through the roof) lol.
      I will also be looking for some female Boeseman's rainbows in the fall to keep the males happy ;).
        I'll post pics as soon as I find some batteries for the camera For some reason they are in short supply in this house :)