Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Thorny snails?

Started by PaleoFishGirl, July 20, 2006, 02:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

Hey cool, it eats "Spirulinaflocken"!  That might be why mine is doing good...staple food for the tank is Spirulina Flake.

Melody

I am currently researching the habitat & such so I can adjust accordingly.  They hail from Thailand it seems.  I'm translating many pages.  If we all post what we find, we might just give these creatures a better captive life.

The diet agrees with what I observed about them not liking protein much and preferring vegetation.  That may seem like a given for snails, but many prefer protein, surprisingly enough.  Spirulina is a big part of the diet in this house too as many of my fish & snails need vegetation.

They like a good current and cool temp's, so the habitat they're in suits them at least that much.

Apparently there has been success in breeding them too!  I'll post as I find more out about that.  Its slow going with Viv's, but possible.

succinctfish:  I'll get you a shipping quote but I can warn you now that it ain't pretty...lol.  Shipping to the East is ridiculously high and they need to be shipped in water.  Maybe a group order would be feasible?  I don't have a whole lot of them available, but there should be enough for you to at least split the order with someone to take the edge off the shipping.

succinctfish

Well, surprise of surprises, guess what I saw in the aquarium yesterday?  Yup, one thorny snail, state of existence to be determined still.  In other words, I haven't seen anything but a shell, and there is no movement yet.  I was doing some tidying up of a watersprite clump that had become stuck on the outflow of the filter for a few months, since the flow was a little strong I had left it there for some time. A half hour later, there was the thorny snail on the gravel at the bottom.  So, it could be pining for the fjords, dead as a doornail, shell stuck in the watersprite....or it could have been hanging out in the water flow like any sensible river snail, and it could be okay.  I threw down a bit of food just in case(the ottos will eat it if the snail doesn't).  Fingers crossed.  At the least, the mystery was solved, how many months has it been since I've seen the snail?  And I've got a cool shell out of it, if the snail is done with it.  Best yet, I can stop searching the floor and under aquariums for a body :D

PaleoFishGirl

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Wow! I can't believe it turned up after all this time :D
I hope it's still alive, with these guys it seems you never know.

sas

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on November 29, 2006, 11:09:23 AM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Wow! I can't believe it turned up after all this time :D
I hope it's still alive, with these guys it seems you never know.
That's great news :) If anybody sees these guys available anywhere or a group order is arranged i'd love to get in on it. Just got some snails for my son and he's totally thrilled with them :)

succinctfish

Alas, I am sad to report that the thorny snail seems to be no more.  the shell has not moved, and when I look very closely, I can see too far into the shell, so there doesn't appear to be anyone home. :'(
I was hoping that it was still alive, it is(was) such a beautiful snail.  I liked the way it moved: very methodical and purposeful, but also graceful and self contained, not all flouncy and showy like my apple snails.
Well, at least I still have the cool thorny shell.