Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Thorny snails?

Started by PaleoFishGirl, July 20, 2006, 02:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoFishGirl

I found out that they don't like the heat very much :(  I lost one late last week because of some rather high tank temperatures, I think.  The other one is doing fine.

Laura

Would anyone mind if I forwarded this thread to the applesnail.net folks for their input?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

succinctfish

I agree DD;  it would be nice to know what the snail likes to eat.

Our thorny snail is still alive, we've moved it to a different tank because it wasn't moving at all in the first one, now it moves around a small amount in the new tank...so it's alive. 

Are your snails very active?  What are you feeding them?

Laura, in my opinion any knowledge would be helpful, as I haven't been able to find anything out about them yet.

PaleoFishGirl

My remaining snail is quite active.  I haven't actually seen it eat, but I have brigs in the tank that eat pretty much everything.  I've been feeding algae wafers and cucumber lately.

darkdep

Mine is active, not as fast moving as the apple snail but definetly motors around.  That tank is getting pretty much just spirulina flake at the moment, which everything else in the tank seems to be very happy with, but I'd like to know more about Thorny to make sure I'm providing what he needs.

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: DarkDep on August 07, 2006, 05:06:04 PM
I'd like to know more about Thorny to make sure I'm providing what he needs.

You & me both  :-\  Already killed one $15 snail, I'd like to try & keep the other one alive...

babblefish1960

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on August 07, 2006, 05:14:35 PM
You & me both  :-\  Already killed one $15 snail, I'd like to try & keep the other one alive...
Is it really dead, or is it just stunned, you know, it might be fagged out after a long squawk, pining as it were, for the fjords of its homeland, where all good thorny vikings eminate from.

Give a good jolt of electricity, it will either come to life once more, or be cooked enough to eat, your call. :o

And Laura, please feel free to send this thread out into the ether to search for answers.
A sort of a quest, yes, a quest for the holy grail, I know you can do it, just like Sir Gawain the pure, and soon everyone will know the answers to the meaning of thorny snails everywhere. :D

Laura

I posted the thread on applesnail.net under Discussions - snail species.  You can check there for responses, or I'll repost here.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

PaleoFishGirl

Uh oh, now the applesnail.net people are going to know how kooky the OVASers are :D

Babblefish: yep, really dead.  I waited a day to make sure, after I put both snails in a quarantine tank with cooler water.  I'm not going to go into the gory details, but I will say that I wasn't even tempted to taste that $15 morsel of escargot.

PaleoFishGirl

Thanks, Laura... I actually just did a search on the applesnail.net Forum for Thorny snails.  Guess what? They already have a thread about it! It's under "Rare Snail in Canada - What Is It?" and someone posted about them being at the same store that I bought them from (Petland in Red Deer).

I looked at the genus Lithasia pictures on Google Images and they look close, though I can't find the exact species.  There's some info on the Animal Diversity Web site that says they are threatened FW N. American snails.  ???

babblefish1960

Nice link, but it doesn't look at all like the one we have, or the one whose picture you snapped in that far away land.

I think a visit to petland is in order and torture the guy until you learn who his supplier is, then, find that fellow and repeat the process until you get the whole truth and nothing but the truth from these suspect snail dealers. :D

Woody

I sent the photo to a supplier friend of mine overseas and the closest he has seen is the following, not enough thorns for me.

http://conchology.com.ne.kr/main/Neritidae/Clithon_corona.htm

Maybe it will narrow the family seach down, any lukc on the snail forum.

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: babblefish1960 on August 07, 2006, 06:52:49 PM
Nice link, but it doesn't look at all like the one we have, or the one whose picture you snapped in that far away land.

No, but if you read to the end of the thread, she posts a link with photos of her thorny snails.  You can see that they look very much like our little mysterious appetizers.

Woody - not quite :D  Not enough thorns for me, either, and the whorls seem to be in a single plane rather than in a more 3D spiral. 

darkdep

Wow, I had no idea these things would turn out to be such a mystery.  Cool.  :)

I only have the one to go by, but the pics in the link you posted PFG look very much like mine, especially the face. 

babblefish1960

Silly APW, that's not the face, that's the foot, hopefully the downeaster girl can explain it to you while chopping up more delicious canape and hors'deurves.

darkdep

You're right, it's because for me snails are an accessory item, I'm a snail n00bie for sure.  :)

RoxyDog

an accessory item?  like a bracelet perhaps?  :) 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

mseguin

Yup, after your fish eat the tasty tasty meat, you can make all sorts of jewelry.
And DD, we'll have to see you at the next meeting with some of this snail jewelry now.

RoxyDog

Matt, that just hurts.  *sniff*.  :P
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

darkdep

If that snail dies, I'll never get rid of the shell man, it's really cool.  :)