New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fluval Ebi (First planted tank)

Started by jshchrtn, December 05, 2011, 11:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshchrtn

I'm a new member and like the build threads so thought I'd post my first freshwater planted tank.  
I started a Fluval Ebi in early September after much online reading and research, wanted a easy start up first tank that would be able to keep colourful small shrimp colony. I purchased the Fluval Ebi from my lfs in renfrew, and ordered a second light and fluval flora co2 unit.

Current Tank:
Fluval Ebi 7.8gal
2 stock 13watt lights(10 hours a day)
stock filter with polishing pad to keep fry safe
fluval flora co2(not using much of)
adjustable heater
upgraded thermometer

Current Plants
Flame moss
moss balls
anubias
Java ferns
some type of grass??

Current Livestock
CRS (2 adult, 5 juvenile, 7 fry)
Otto's x2
1 Tiger snail
1 zebra snail
some small snails from plants

I started with 2 CRS from my lfs at a expensize 12.99$ a shrimp, though somehow i was luckily and one started carrying eggs 2 weeks after purchase and carried them for approx 5 weeks. I now have approx 2 week old shrimp fry in tank (5).  I had tried different plants from my lfs and lost them most likely from insufficient lighting and lack of using co2 properly.  Though my current plants seem to be doing well(thanks to kanatas big als advice), with some hair algae that i manually remove and believe I am starting to beat.  I stopped using the plant gro formula i purchased after i noticed it has copper in it.  Also have been limiting the use of co2 because it appeared everytime i'd use it the hair algae would grow quickly.  I recently purchased more crs from a user on ovas and added the ottos and tiger snail from big als.  My goal is too have a nice looking plant/crs haven.
I do a 40-50% water change usually every 5 days and do regular water testing before water changes.  
This is my first attempt at keeping plants or shrimp so want to make sure I can handle a small tank before upgrading to something larger!

Further upgrades to the ebi, sleaker heater, or canister filter with inline heater, proper co2 set up and hopefully just time and patience to watch the tank mature.

The added pictures are in progression from start to today!
Thanks for reading, any recomendations welcome!
Josh

touchofsky

Welcome to the hobby of planted tanks.  I live near Renfrew and frequent Rick's in Renfrew, too. 

I think you little Ebi looks great and it seems that it is really progressing!

daworldisblack

Welcome to the green side and your ebi looks good!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

jshchrtn

Thanks!
Anyone have any suggestions for nutrient dosing with my current plants? 10 hours of lighting (2 13watt CF) and regular bi weekly 40-50% water changes.  I have just purchased flourish excel, also prefer no copper because of the shrimp in the tank.  I am starting to beat the hair algae with daily manual removal of clumps and small to large water changes. 
Thanks again, definetly glad to have chosen to start a planted tank, hopefully move up to a 50 gallon tank like some of the amazing looking set ups on this forum!

touchofsky

Excel should help with the algae.  I would dose Excel every day.  I wouldn't add the big initial dose recommended on the bottle, but just start out with the recommended daily dose.  From your list of plants it doesn't look like you have vals or anacharis, so you can start right off with a full daily dose of Excel. 

You could also try lowering your lighting period to 8 hours while you are trying to get rid of the algae.   For a tank without CO2, I would dose with Flourish Comprehensive.  Start with a 1/2 the recommended dose first and dose this 1/2 dose 2 times weekly, and see how things work out.  Give it about three weeks or so.

jshchrtn

Thanks for the advice I picked up the flourish complete and started dosing the tank today after a quick water change and filter clean!
Hope to see a change over the next few months!
Added a second snail so now there are a tiger and a zebra snail, also have been removing small snails that came with the plants.

touchofsky

If they are ramshorn snails, I leave a few of them.  They have never become a problem in my tanks. 

You should start to notice a difference in a few weeks.  Please keep me posted on your tank's progress  :)

jshchrtn

Over the weekend I noticed I've currently got ahead of the hair algae and the moss is growing well!
Introduced another snail so now have 1 tiger, 1 zebra, 2 Otto's and 14 crs(ranging in age).  Don't intend to add anymore livestock, only let the shrimp multiply more hopefully! Unless someone has a suggestion! I've also been watching online for a good deal on a larger tank! Should wait till after Christmas!

exv152

Noticed you have the anubias still in its pot, or some kind of thing resembling a pot, this plant really enjoys spreading its roots over driftwood, and considering this plants  gets most of its nutrients through the exposed roots, I would attach it to a piece of wood or rock.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

jshchrtn

Ya that is like a plant weight it came with the lfs said just to plant it down! Thanks for the information! Do you usually just tie the anubias down to the drift wood? Or do you need to glue it? Its already grown two leaves since I purchased it, and the ottos i bought have really cleaned the leaves up!
Everyday I look at the tank I want to go bigger! haha

exv152

Quote from: jshchrtn on December 12, 2011, 11:46:52 AM
Ya that is like a plant weight it came with the lfs said just to plant it down! Thanks for the information! Do you usually just tie the anubias down to the drift wood? Or do you need to glue it? Its already grown two leaves since I purchased it, and the ottos i bought have really cleaned the leaves up! Everyday I look at the tank I want to go bigger! haha

The root is very susceptible to rotting if it's planted in the gravel, or left in a pot, like they do at some pet stores. Can't believe the petstore told you to just plant it down in the gravel. Don't, and don't use glue. I have many anubias nana tied down to driftwood, I use green sowing string. Eventually you can cut away the string when the roots adhere, and they will. Just saying because I don't want to see your anubia perish. Click on this link. http://www.tropica.com/plants/plantdescription.aspx?pid=101
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

jshchrtn

Updated pics of tank after trimming of moss and grass type plant.  Also tied anubias down to drift wood!
Found the grass type plant, is sending small runners off into substrate, does anyone know the name of this plant?
Glad to see my one adult female CRS is carrying eggs again!

sas

Quote from: jshchrtn on December 12, 2011, 11:46:52 AM

Everyday I look at the tank I want to go bigger! haha

Hey go for it, that's what this hobby is all about ;D.

jshchrtn

Quick pictures of a couple shrimp eating!

touchofsky

jshchrtn

QuoteYour tank looks great!

Thanks a lot! Definetly a good start slowly learning how to care for a planted tank, hope in the new year to slowly put together a larger tank!

touchofsky

That will be fun and something to look forward to.

charlie

Quote from: jshchrtn on December 21, 2011, 12:34:33 AM
Thanks a lot! Definetly a good start slowly learning how to care for a planted tank, hope in the new year to slowly put together a larger tank!
Yay  ;)
Good time to grab a tank @ Big Al`s boxing week/day special & get the rest later.

jshchrtn

Definetly considered the 46 gallon marine land bow front today at the big als boxing day sales... Though I better keep on saving!
Was able to get some plants on sale though!
Here's some pictures of new small java fern in the foreground, oto cats jumped at it to clean and the crystal red shrimp also came to investigate!

jshchrtn

Added some small type of sword(i think) to the foreground today! Also was able to propagate some small Windelov Java fern from my large ones in the back.  Tank seems to be progressing well can't wait to see how it looks in 6 months+
I've been trying to research the different plants I get and its wild how fast duckweed multiplies!
Also one of my light fixtures died so i'm waiting on a replacement from the lfs, hope it gets here in the next week or so!
Can't wait to have 30+ crystal shrimp crawling around in here!