New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Xenon's Fluval Edge 6G build thread with pics

Started by xenon, January 06, 2012, 08:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenon

I have been in and out of the hobby for years and every time I get back into it, my tanks keep getting smaller and smaller! This time I decided to get a Fluval Edge because I loved the modern/minimalistic design. I also like that you can view everything from the top.

The light fixture on my tank is from a 12G Fluval Edge. It has 42 LED lights with 3 of them being moonlights. I have been told its only 6watts total lightning power so this will be something I will need to replace soon.

I was not that impressed with the flow from the AC20 so I decided to take it out and replace it with a Vortech MP10ESW. Flow is no longer an issue. :)

I currently have a true perc and fire shrimp in quarantine while I wait for the tank to cycle. I added 10lb of Caribsea live sand with a mixture of dryrock and cured liverock so I don't expect the cycle to last very long.

Darth

I love how clean those litte tanks look. makes me miss my little 5 gal pico, may have to convince the wife to let me get another one she has been resistant so far LOL

xenon

Quote from: Darth on January 06, 2012, 08:05:30 PM
I love how clean those litte tanks look. makes me miss my little 5 gal pico, may have to convince the wife to let me get another one she has been resistant so far LOL

Yeah, they are great. I only paid $118 at PetSmart.

sas

Very slick, thanks for posting this, it may be just the
bump that pushes me over the edge into salt.
I'll look forward to seeing it setup.

xenon

Right now I am just looking for ideas on what type of fish I can add to my tank that is an active swimmer.

salvini55

Looks great, a pistol shrimp goby pair would be on my list... not an active swimmer though

redbelly

A school of Trimma gobies

Or several types of trimma gobies and sexy shrimp
Especially the ones with the clear body, and purple spots. I think they had them in an issue of Coral magazine a couple months ago... I can check tomorrow for the name.

NanoSF

Quote from: delslo on January 07, 2012, 03:20:22 AM
Catalina goby

I tried one, and even with keeping my temps on the low side 75, it was still not cold enough for it. It lasted a while but probably died because it was too warm.

xenon

Quote from: redbelly on January 07, 2012, 02:35:25 AM
A school of Trimma gobies

Or several types of trimma gobies and sexy shrimp
Especially the ones with the clear body, and purple spots. I think they had them in an issue of Coral magazine a couple months ago... I can check tomorrow for the name.

I don't think a school of anything in a 6G is a good idea. lol

I already have a true perc in QT. I know its been over-played but out of all the fish I owned in the past, I was attached to these the most. They just have tons of personality.

I would like to get a jawfish. I was thinking a pearly (yellowhead). I would prefer a bluespot but they are so expensive and the mortality rate is high.

I am still having a difficult time finding an active swimming fish that will be happy in such a small tank.

Hookup

Trimma Gobies are really small..  And perch on your corals or rock work.   Some bright colors...

A blue spot is not so hard to keep, but getting them fed has been my problem, as many of my fish are aggressive eaters and there not enuf food at the bottom of the tank for them eat...  In your 6gal I think you'll be ok,

But

Don't you think a full grown perc will be too big anyhow?

vonG

perc too big?
how about too aggressive as well???

xenon

My true perc is pretty small right now and they don't grow very fast. I don't think it will be a problem.

I have owned them before and they were always VERY neutral towards any other type of fish so I would never consider them aggressive.

az

i'd put the filter back and find another spot for the mp10, cute and all but you need something to take care of the surface skim.

few barnacle blennys?
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

xenon

Quote from: az on January 07, 2012, 11:42:34 PM
i'd put the filter back and find another spot for the mp10, cute and all but you need something to take care of the surface skim.

few barnacle blennys?

Yeah, that will probably be the case. I am using the AC20 in QT right now so no big deal while the tank cycles.

I decided what fish I will be adding. I will update the thread with pics once i get them. :)

az

something that will go very good in this tank > yasha haze goby with candy stripe pistol shrimp.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

redbelly

Yasha is a nice fish and a suitable size.

But this would be an excellent fish and certainly not one that is often seen here:

Another pic:

delslo

Quote from: redbelly on January 08, 2012, 03:39:37 AM
Yasha is a nice fish and a suitable size.

But this would be an excellent fish and certainly not one that is often seen here:

Another pic:

I second this

jshchrtn

Great looking edge can't wait to see updates! Good job!