New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Giant Auction March 4, 2012

Started by limmer, February 13, 2012, 10:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limmer

2012 Giant Auction

Our annual Giant Auction will be held at the  Jack Purcell Centre on Sunday the 4th of March starting at 12:00 pm.  Everyone is welcome - both OVAS and non-OVAS members.
    Item setup and viewing starts at 10:00 am.  All items being auctioned off must be registered and present at the auction by 12:00.  No new items will be accepted after 11:30.

General information
    All items being auctioned are placed on tables in the viewing area.  During the auction the tables will be auctioned off in an order.
    If you wish to have your item(s) sold at the start of the auction, we will have a priority table this year.  The cost is $1 per item and this fee must be paid before your item is placed on the priority table.  
    For the Giant Auction the starting bid is $2.  If necessary, please group your items to ensure that your lots have a $2 value.

Raffle tickets
    We will be selling raffle tickets during the auction.  $1 for 1, $2 for 3 and $5 for 10.  Prizes include a brand new 75 gallon aquarium and many more items.

Item registration
    The following methods are available to register your items.

• On-line registration of your items.  Click here to submit your items for the auction.  If you have more than 10 items for sale, please fill out as many forms as needed.
    • PM me with your list – including the description and minimum bid.
    • If you do not pre-register your items, please download the Registration Form attached to this post, complete it and give it to me before 11:30.

The following items WILL NOT be accepted at this year's Giant Auction

• Used heaters
    • Used light bulbs
    • Plastic plants
    • Used/opened filter media
    • Used airline tubing
    • Magazines

We are limiting the number of identical items that a single vendor can sell to 3 items, please group your items accordingly.  If you want to sell more than 3 bags of an identical item, you have the choice of either grouping your items to create 3 lots, removing the extra item(s) or donating the extra item(s) to OVAS.

Identifying your items
    Pre-printed labels are provided for all auction items and will be handed out when you arrive at the registration desk.
    For all items the starting bid is $2.00. If you would like to start the bidding for you item at a higher amount please indicate the minimum bid on your registration form.

Packaging your items
    Please package your items carefully!  Bags can leak, light bulbs can break, and fish can jump out of pails - just to mention a few possibilities.
    All fish placed for auction must be in an appropriate container:

• Proper fish bags (preferred method)
    • Glass jars of an appropriate size (Acceptable, but should be avoided if possible for safety reasons)
    • Plastic buckets

Bidding
    For those who are new to the club the auction works as follows:

• The auctioneer will read the lot number, description and starting bid amount.
    • Anyone who wishes to bid on the item is asked to raise their hand at the start of the bidding.
    • The auctioneer will increase the price and the last person with their hand raised wins the item.
    • All items must be paid for immediately after the bidding has ended for that item.  Payment and item pickup is done at the Treasurers location on the right hand side of the meeting room.

Auction fees
    Any items preregistered before 8:00pm on Saturday the 3rd of March will be charged a 25% commission.  Any items registered after this time will be charged a 35% commission fee, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Donations
    If you wish to donate the proceeds from any of your auction item please indicate this to me before the auction.  Any unsold donated items must be picked up after the mini-auction is over – OVAS will not be responsible for any items left at the meeting.

Vendor payment
    Please see me after the auction to be cashed out.  I will provide you with a receipt which will be taken to the Treasurer for payment.  If you are unable to stay to the end of the auction please contact me and alternate arrangement will be made for you to receive your funds.

Note
    Please respect your fellow club members - excessive talking during the auction is distracting to both the auctioneers and the people wishing to purchase items.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.[/list]

fredmir

Can I put a min  bid on a item I be selling at the auction

Thanks
    George

pm

Quote from: fredmir on February 13, 2012, 11:22:07 PM
    Can I put a min  bid on a item I be selling at the auction

Thanks
    George

"If you would like to start the bidding for you item at a higher amount please indicate the minimum bid on your registration form"

rockgarden

Nerine

Don't forget to visit the volunteer thread and pm me! I still need a few more volunteers :)
    55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
    Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
    Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

lucf20

Did any one had tanganyikans for auction last year?
    Im looking for a few , i was just wondering if the auction was THE place to go ?

Nerine

Fish change every year! We can't predict what will be there this year...but it's an event you don't want to miss!
    55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
    Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
    Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

bizfromqc

Hey, I just saw a "post" on UsedOttawa.com to promote the event! Good job, the more people, the merrier!

robt18

There were lots of tanganyikans last year! And they went for waaay cheaper than they should have. Take advantage!

fredmir

I would like to make some Donations of some new type of tropical fish food. It a new gel type of food, but I would Donation it for  the Raffle, is this possable??

Thanks
    George

washefuzzy

Fishnut

For all those plant Gurus out there, remember that beautiful Starfire aquarium that was set up for us at January's meeting?

It's going to be up for grabs!  Tank, Lighting, Soil, Rocks and wood...it could be all yours!  PLUS the auction has always been a great place to buy plants to fill up this gem!!

Here's a Reminder:

Fishnut

Here's another Teaser...

We'll be setting up a nice Raffle Prize with this little fishy!

gvv

Will we have saltwater tank for frags this year?

Fishnut

We'll see how many frags we end up with.  I don't believe it's in the plans this year (short on volunteers) but we're very adaptable if someone steps up to set it up AND we have enough of a demand for it.

adamsarmywife

I'm hoping to make it this year, will anyone be putting in any SW fish?

I sure hope to come!

drboeing

Karen here, still sad that I had to back out of volunteering, but I still want to donate snails (ramshorns, MTS) for the auction.  How do I do this?  Show up at 10 with tubs of snails?  Also, if anyone can suggest good ways to capture them?

sas

Quote from: drboeing on February 28, 2012, 05:32:01 PM
    Karen here, still sad that I had to back out of volunteering, but I still want to donate snails (ramshorns, MTS) for the auction.  How do I do this?  Show up at 10 with tubs of snails?  Also, if anyone can suggest good ways to capture them?

See limmer, the OVAS Auctions Chair,

Donations
    If you wish to donate the proceeds from any of your auction item please indicate this to me before the auction.  Any unsold donated items must be picked up after the mini-auction is over – OVAS will not be responsible for any items left at the meeting.

Quote from: drboeing on February 28, 2012, 05:32:01 PM

Drop in a piece of zucchini, lettuce or algae wafer and they'll gather
    like moths to a light. Bag them up and bring them in :).

drboeing

Great idea on the veggie do draw the snails in.  Now then, what time shall I drop them off, and Ill not be available to take them back if they go unsold.  Do you still want them as a donation?

shannon333

Hello!!
    How long is the Auction?
    ....Can one show up and buy raffle tickets and leave?(I've a 2 yr old that wont sit for long)
    sure wish I had someone to mind him, i'd love to get my hands on some sw equipment.

Shannon