New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Up loading pictures?

Started by wolfiewill, April 22, 2012, 12:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

I have tried to upload pictures without success. I have two or three ~3 MB pictures that I want to use to help identify a plant species. They won't load 'cause it says my file is too big. But I see other posts with pictures. What am I doing wrong? Cheers. Greg
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

bizfromqc

Quote from: wolfiewill on April 22, 2012, 12:55:51 PM
I have tried to upload pictures without success. I have two or three ~3 MB pictures that I want to use to help identify a plant species. They won't load 'cause it says my file is too big. But I see other posts with pictures. What am I doing wrong? Cheers. Greg

Don't know what the limit is but 3Mb is definitely too big. I'd recommend re-sizing them to either 1280x1025, 1080x720 or 800x600. Turn the quality down to somewhere in the middle (normal or better, depending on the software you used).

I use Google Picassa to resize and save my pictures. It's free, easy to use and does a great job. You can download it here: http://picasa.google.com/

Eric

JetJumper

I think 1mb is allowed max with a specific resolution.

Open MS Paint on your picture.. go to Resize.. cut it down to like 25-30% save as NEW file and upload that.  Fastest way to do it unless you have photoshop

Oh and save as JPG, not BMP.  BMP too big with paint normally.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

OVAS-Webmaster

The maximum size is 1MB.  Resize as suggested by bizfromqc.
Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules

rgauvin

If you use imgur.com there is no issue using 3 meg pics.

bizfromqc

Quote from: rgauvin on April 22, 2012, 05:05:39 PM
If you use imgur.com there is no issue using 3 meg pics.

Even if the image is hosted somewhere else than on OVAS, I'd advise against using a 3Mb picture on a forum post. Even with high speed connections, no one wants to wait a while for images to load and there is no need for this kind of resolution for online viewing.

Eric

wolfiewill

Quote from: bizfromqc on April 22, 2012, 08:32:46 PM
Even if the image is hosted somewhere else than on OVAS, I'd advise against using a 3Mb picture on a forum post. Even with high speed connections, no one wants to wait a while for images to load and there is no need for this kind of resolution for online viewing.

Eric

Thanks, lots of suggestions I can try. Cheers. G
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

daworldisblack

Quote from: wolfiewill on April 24, 2012, 09:57:35 AM
Thanks, lots of suggestions I can try. Cheers. G

Get on it Greg! :p
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Saltcreep

Another super easy option is Windows Paint. You can re-sise by dimmension, proportion, pixels (I think).
Like I said, super easy and already on your system.