New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fluval Edge CRS build - Finally!!

Started by Stussi613, August 02, 2012, 12:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

Some members on here may know this, but I've had a problem for over a year that just lingered and lingered. I bought a Fluval Edge on sale at PetSmart and couldn't figure out what to do with it. While most people would be chomping at the bit to get it going, I stuck it in the basement storage room and searched Fluval Edge setups, builds, photos...you name it I saw it.

I was gonna go salty with it. Then shrimp.  Then...even my wife was telling me to setup it up which is totally against her usual beliefs on another tank in the house.

You get the idea.

I finally decided a few months ago that I would turn it into a CRS tank. So I got some Christmas moss, and Fluval Shrimp stratum and small driftwood and a few rocks and dry scraped the tank.  Super glued the moss on wood, moved a chunk of annubias nana over to a rock and tied it down and then got a bit of water in the tank and covered it with cling wrap to let the glue/moss set and the moss to take hold.

The annubias nana leaves died.

A month later I got the tank filled and got the cycle going and a few Otto cats in it.  I added some micro swords and something I can't remember the name of in the back.

Last week I picked up 5 CRS and put them in. For the most part, I was happy with the layout.

But the lighting (original MR11 bulbs) looked like crap and it was driving me nuts. And I was pretty sure I couldn't grow much with 22 watts of halogen light.

The idea of crazy mods did not appeal to me, so I bit the bullet and paid $80 for a 42 LED replacement fixture from a 12g Edge. Installed it today and the lighting is much better!

It even comes with a nifty moon light feature. 

Now I just need to find more CRS (supply seems to have dried up in the club) and to figure out what to do about plants for this tank. I'm thinking ground cover is needed, but I'm not sure.  I have a mini glass C02 thingy I can put in the tank and I think DIY C02 might work on this tank...

Thoughts?
I haz reef tanks.

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Stussi613

Quote from: exv152 on August 03, 2012, 09:07:41 AM
What size is the tank (gallons)?

Sorry should have posted that, it's the 6G version.
I haz reef tanks.

exv152

I know the PAR value for that light on a 12g tank is in the medium light intensity, but with both the 6700k and the 10,000k LEDs it's wise to consider co2 and ferts.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Stussi613

Yeah, I think you're right, I'm already starting to get algae on the moss at the top of the tank.  Which the shrimp don't seem to mind.

Any comments on the scape, or suggested plant stocking?  Really looking for feedback!
I haz reef tanks.

charlie

Nice to see it up & running Stuart, it`s being a long time coming  ;)
If you are interested in having them breed in that tank, it might not be such a good idea with the CO 2 & ferts, not saying they would not breed but it will probably not be as productive as they can be.
Why not use the moss on stones as your foreground with some crypts & Java fern/ Anubias as your background plants, probably more of rock scape as opposed to wood?
Errol

exv152

Quote from: charlie on August 04, 2012, 06:26:43 PM
...Why not use the moss on stones as your foreground with some crypts & Java fern/ Anubias as your background plants, probably more of rock scape as opposed to wood?
Errol

Errol's got a good point. The light seems to be more of a spot light, centered in the middle of the tank, and low maintenance plants would probably do better along the edges. But I would definitly add more plants, it'll help with the algae too.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

jshchrtn

Great looking edge how is it going now? Any updates?

Stussi613

Quote from: jshchrtn on October 09, 2012, 10:04:31 PM
Great looking edge how is it going now? Any updates?

I actually changed the layout a few weeks ago to have more dragon stones and took the driftwood and moss out, added some dwarf hair grass and moved the micro swords. I also added around 16 CRS at that time. I need to get some CO2 running on this tank, the hair grass isn't spreading as fast as I'd like!

I haz reef tanks.

jshchrtn

QuoteI actually changed the layout a few weeks ago to have more dragon stones and took the driftwood and moss out, added some dwarf hair grass and moved the micro swords. I also added around 16 CRS at that time. I need to get some CO2 running on this tank, the hair grass isn't spreading as fast as I'd like!

Looks great always liked the edge! The rocks look great hope your hair grass starts spreading! Keep up the good work!

bettabreeder

Love the look of the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stussi613

Quote from: bettabreeder on October 10, 2012, 01:55:49 PM
Love the look of the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I added some chili rasboras the other night, and snapped a quick pic. My microswords aren't doing to hot so I started dosing with flourish excel the other day. I'm going to try to fill the co2 bottle I have this weekend and get co2 running on the tank over the weekend.

Not too concerned about the shrimp not breeding (some people say they will, some people say they won't), I just want the dwarf hair grass to start spreading.

I haz reef tanks.

dbl_dbl

I could be wrong but I've only had success with carpeting Dwarf Hairgrass when I've used CO2 and ferts.

With that being said, tank looks very solid, the rock work is great and when the plants fill in it will be a beauty. Love the Chili Rasboras, I had some of those for a short period of time years ago and I think they spawned often, although the fry seemed to dissapear (the other fish got fatter too, interesting how that works out). If I may ask, whered you come across the Chilis?

Stussi613

Quote from: dbl_dbl on October 29, 2012, 06:57:44 PM
If I may ask, whered you come across the Chilis?

Sorry for the late reply, I got them from the BAP Chair on the exec :)

In other news, one of my CRS is berried, so they will breed in smaller tanks after all!  Still don't have co2 and ferts on this tank, might wait until the berried one drops her shrimp lets and give it a try so I don't do anything that causes her to drop her eggs early.
I haz reef tanks.