New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Replying to PMs

Started by garnpet, September 09, 2010, 10:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sas

Quote from: OVAS-Webmaster on August 25, 2011, 08:29:56 PM
Must be something in the water the past couple of days.   >:(

PLEASE do not use your email software to reply to PMs. You can only reply to them using the forum software.

Welcome back,  :)

magnosis

Could we set the sender's address on PMs to be something like "" and that address is either a sink, or an auto-reply that immediatly returns the mail to the "sinner" ;-)

Just a thought. This is how I handle automailers on websites I develop... otherwise you ALWAYS have people who'll reply using their mail client, no matter what.

OVAS-Webmaster

Rule #1 of SMF forum admin:  Don't mess with the .php scripts.  Rules #2 - Don't forget Rule #1.

As mentioned before there is only one email address associated with the site.  However I've just checked and there is now a add-on package that will send the email from another address.  I'll be checking that out soon.
Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules

magnosis

Not to beat a dead horse ;-) but this is as easily fixable on your email client (or account-wide depending how you're setup).

option a) I use thunderbird, but whatever client they almost all implement filters.  Add a filter that auto-replies to sender if the subject contains "New Personal Message".

option b) If you have access to your mail server, you can setup a similar filter at the domain level, this way the mail won't even hit your inbox; you reduce traffic and as an added bonus, can track all the redirects/forwards performed by this filter.  How this is done is largely dependent on your mail server..

Just a few ideas.
Of course if people would read the disclaimer, that wouldn't be a problem >.<

Greatwhite

Nahh.. Too much work. Just set the reply-to address on the "You got a PM!" email to "" which should be invalid... Then let the mail server bounce stuff. *shrug*  That's how I built all the notifications in the software I built...

OVAS-Webmaster

Quote from: OVAS-Webmaster on August 26, 2011, 12:04:27 PM
As mentioned before there is only one email address associated with the site.  However I've just checked and there is now a add-on package that will send the email from another address.  I'll be checking that out soon.
Did not work as advertised!

Quote from: Greatwhite on August 29, 2011, 02:06:31 PM
Just set the reply-to address on the "You got a PM!" email to "" which should be invalid... Then let the mail server bounce stuff. *shrug*
If it were that easy to do I would have already done it.

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

Greatwhite

Quote from: OVAS-Webmaster on August 29, 2011, 02:49:47 PM
If it were that easy to do I would have already done it.

Time for a change request to the web site software designers... :D

magnosis

Quote from: Greatwhite on August 29, 2011, 09:07:11 PM
Time for a change request to the web site software designers... :D

I believe we will eventually upgrade to SMF 2.0
Won't be an issue then: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=424059.0

robt18

We're already using SMF 2.0 I'm 99% sure....

Just reply to PMs on the forum!

Greatwhite

Not according to the bottom of the screen...

QuotePowered by SMF 1.1.14 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

robt18

Ahh nevermind. It was in my SMF newsfeed that 2.0 was released... knew I saw it somewhere :P Buuut didn't read.

OVAS-Webmaster

SMF 2.0 was released a couple of days before we upgraded to 1.1.14, too soon for a change of versions for us.  We will upgrade to 2.0 in the near future.  Gotta test it first as I usually don't trust .0 versions of anything.

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

Greatwhite

Quote from: OVAS-Webmaster on August 30, 2011, 02:30:35 PM
SMF 2.0 was released a couple of days before we upgraded to 1.1.14, too soon for a change of versions for us.  We will upgrade to 2.0 in the near future.  Gotta test it first as I usually don't trust .0 versions of anything.

As a software guy, I'm always concerned with major releases.. Software going from 1.1.14 to 2.0 indicates changes big enough to warrant a whole new number.  Dot releases are usually minor fixes and "urgent changes".

However, knowing that there's a 2.0 version gives us all something to look forward to! :)

Hookup

As a software consultant we get into .0 releases all the time...  IMO they all suck...  Bug testing is not the same as General Availability...  :p

OVAS-Webmaster

This .0 release shouldn't be too bad.  They had 5 Candidate Releases before the .0 release - and it appears to have taken well over 4 years to get the .0 release ready.

We will migrate to 2.0 in the near future.

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

magnosis

Let me (us) know if you want help for testing the heck out of it when the migration happens - or help with the migration itself.  I don't have first-hand experience with SMF installs but I've been working as an integration and testing engineer for a few years, I know my way around Linux, php, mysql, postgres, etc...

Hookup

doh, that was me today... LOL...

OVAS-Webmaster

Quote from: Hookup on December 13, 2011, 09:45:32 AM
doh, that was me today... LOL...
Not a problem any longer.  All replies via email to PM not bounce right back.

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram