New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Challenges and Changes to the Classifieds

Started by OVAS-Webmaster, December 01, 2011, 12:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OVAS-Webmaster

Over the past couple of months there has been a noticeable increase in the number of forum users reposting items in the classifieds before the 60 day expiration period had passed.

Reposting an items includes deleting (or not deleting) the original ad and then placing the item back up for sale in order to be placed back on the front page of the classifieds.  OVAS does not permit this.

The no reposting rule is in effect so that ALL forum members are treated equally.  All ads have the same chance of staying of the front page for the same amount of time.

If you need to modify your ad you must edit the ad, not create a new one.

That being said, several people have made valid points that 60 days is too long of a period for the ads to be active.  So effective today all ads will be active for a period of 30 days.  And to help ads stay longer on the front page I have increased the number of ads per page to 40.  This will reduce the number of web pages that need to be viewed to see all the ads.

Also starting today, all forum users who post in the classifieds will receive an "automated" message reminding them of the rules for the Classifieds.  Please don't be insulted by this PM as everyone will be receiving it.

Some suggestions:

• Delete your ad only when the item has been sold and picked up by the seller.
  • When posting an ad use the keywords.  This will add to the tag cloud and make it easier for people to find items.

Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules

Stussi613

Just to confirm that ads that have been posted for longer than 30 days, as of today's date, are okay to repost, correct?  I'm asking because ads placed under the previous 60 day rule still show a 60 day expiry date on them.
I haz reef tanks.

OVAS-Webmaster

The newer ads will have the 30 day time limit.  The old ads will still show the 60 days as that was what the time limit was at that time.

If you have an ad that is older than 30 days you can delete it and then repost. 

To make the moderators life easier I would ask that you first edit your old ad to say "Removed after 30 days", save it and then delete it.

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

FocusFin

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

beertech

Excellent! Good idea! This seems very fair .

Gord.

OVAS-Webmaster

As noted above, an informational PM is sent whenever a new classified ad is placed on the forum. Please do not be offended if you didn't break any of the rules. This is being sent to ALL forum users.

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram