New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Aquarium Hipster

Started by pminister, August 09, 2008, 01:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pminister

Hello,

The name is Seb, just got into this aquarium hobby out of a spur of the moment basis. Always wanted one but recently one of my neighbors left their aquarium outside their front porch, and it was sitting there for three days. So i just went over and asked if they mind if i can have it, and next thing you see it has taken over my life now. lol. Close to getting the MTS (multi tank syndrome) lol.

At the moment this is what i am running:
-10 gallon tank
-Marineland-Penguin HOB power filter up to 0-(10-20g) w/bio-wheel
-non full submersible heater temp at 82*F
-2 cheesy ornaments (castle and a stone imitation arc)
-1 plastic plant

-2 swordtail (1 male, 1 female)

So far it has been week-5 since the initial tank setup date. First 3-weeks was just waiting for ammonia to be broken down, and week-4 the male swordtail broke out with ICH. Got that treated after four days, and now iam just patiently waiting for the nitrite to go down. Hopefully week-6 will look promising, in terms of this cycling process to settle in so i can start adding more fish slowly.

At the moment i do a 20% water change every 3rd day, and feed the fish every 5 days.

Have to say this website is great, didn't know there was an Ottawa community for an Aquarium hobbyist. And that there is more then one aquarium shop in Ottawa, not just Big Al's Aquarium. Not that they are bad just thought the world of aquarium started there, and ended there at Big Al's Aquarium. Good to know that there are options out there.

Would love some helpful tips...............it be greatly appreciated thanks.

dan2x38

Welcome aboard Seb. Nice to meet another freshwater aquarist always. With 1m/1f swordtail you will more fish soon after your cycle finishes... ;) Sounds like your doing all the right things. Just remember research is your friend. OVAS offers a wealth of info. with years & years of experience.

If you do not have your OVAS membership for 2008-2009 you can buy them at our annual membership drive on Aug. 30th. You can also buy your membership at any meeting, Big Al's Innes Road, and online here. Membership drive locations will be at Walmart South Keys & La Niche Gatineau.

What does your membership bring you you might ask?  8) Well discounts from OVAS Sponsors, full access to the forums Lounge and Photo Gallery, borrow books from the Library, and registeration on the OVAS Breeders Directory. Not to mention free admission to most special events & speakers.

Thank you!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

Wow!! A newbie who understands the cycling process!!  WAY TO GO!!

Lol...I'm excited because most newbies don't understand it and end up killing off their fish (or close to it) by the time they find their way here.

Congratulations on getting your new tank set up.  I think you're right in saying that you have the beginnings of MTS :)

Welcome!

Laura

Welcome Seb,
If you want some grungy filter material to help the cycle along, there's many members who don't mind offering some up (esp if you give them a replacement sponge).  If you post where you are and what you're looking for in the classifieds someone will probably give one up.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

charlie

Hi Seb, welcome aboard, like was mentioned by another member, i`m impressed that you have obviously done your home work, i can already envision you checking out the classifieds looking for a bigger tank, 100+ gln tank would be perfect  ;D, please do take the time to join us & introduce yourself in person at one of our monthly meetings which will commence on September 22nd -http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=2.
Hope to meet you soon

presto

Welcome Seb,

Everyone here is very helpful and informative, just ask away and you will get many answers.

Try adding some live plants, I find they help a new tank and the fish really appreciate it.

If your ever in Richmond I can give some clippings to get you started.

pminister

Wow. It sure is a lively bunch in here, and thanks for the energetic welcome greeting. Yeah i tell ya my dad was eagerly after me to get the tank setup, and i am like we don't even know two cents as to what we are getting into. He laughs and says just add water, fish, and you are good to go. lol.

That day i started looking up articles online, then I am like oh my goodness what am i getting myself into. So i toughened it out setup a schedule, and took my leap of faith. Here I am marking x's n o's on my calendar, till i have my tank setup to add more fishes.

I would love to come out to an event. It be fun !