Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

fluvel edge 6 gallon

Started by tophoo, March 02, 2013, 10:29:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tophoo

My kids just got on of these as a present and I was wondering how to set it up.  What kind and how many fish i can put in it? What should the cycle process be?

Sorry, I'm in the salt world and trying the fresh for the kids

Feivel

Nano Reef? Stuart is trying one for his kids :)

tophoo

I have a nano reef already and want to make a freshwater for the kids

Stussi613

My edge is currently setup with crystal red shrimp, an Otto cat and 20 chilli rasboras. Plants are micro swords, dwarf hair grass and Christmas moss (that I can't get rid of). I'd opt for small fish, like the rasboras, that you can keep lots of.

Like Seb mentioned, I'm going to convert it to a nano reef in April.
I haz reef tanks.

tophoo

Quote from: Stussi613 on March 02, 2013, 10:53:38 AM
My edge is currently setup with crystal red shrimp, an Otto cat and 20 chilli rasboras. Plants are micro swords, dwarf hair grass and Christmas moss (that I can't get rid of). I'd opt for small fish, like the rasboras, that you can keep lots of.

Like Seb mentioned, I'm going to convert it to a nano reef in April.

What kind of lighting and substrate do you use??  How do you keep live plants? How much are chili rasboras?

Sorry for all the questions

Stussi613

Substrate is Fluval Shrimp Stratum and I converted the lights to the 42 LED light bar from the new 12G edge.  The plants are centered in the tank under the area that gets lots of light in the middle.  If was gonna do the substrate over for plants I'd do black fluorite instead of Shrimp Stratum.

I got the chili's from Shawn84 on the forum.  They weren't that expensive, PM him to see if he has any left...I also might be selling the light bar when I change from fresh to salt, PM me for more details.

The Edge is a great tank, but it's sorta hard to scape and maintain.
I haz reef tanks.

exv152

Quote from: tophoo on March 02, 2013, 11:08:24 AM
What kind of lighting and substrate do you use??  How do you keep live plants? How much are chili rasboras?

Fluval sellls a compact light that screws onto the edge with a 13w bulb, that should be enough lighting for lots of plants. As for substrate I'd recommend something with more nutrients like seachem flourite. Stratum also tends to be harder to plant the smaller and lighter plants. And I'd go with a weekly general fertilizer like seachem comp, some liquid carbon would be good too.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

tophoo

Thanks... Will the stock halogen bulbs work if I put java ferns directly under them?  Anyone know how much big als sells chilli rasboras for?

Stussi613

I got very poor plant growth with the stock halogens, they are pretty weak and the spread is terrible.

I have a build thread in freshwater tank builds that sows the difference.

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=54303.0
I haz reef tanks.

tophoo

looks great!!  How much substrate did you need? How much are you willling to sell your lights for? ;)

Shawn84

1 bag is plenty for your tank plus some more. As for the Chillie Rasboras you can ask them but usually they are hard to come by. A school of 20 in that tank with shrimp is a beauty.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Jeff1192

I swapped out the stock halogen bulbs on mine and replaced them with 2 LED bulbs that I got off Ebay. I get pretty good plant growth from low-light plants with them. I have java fern, christmas moss, anubias and cryps in there are they all do well.  I find it's a great little tank for cherry shrimp as well if you want to add something other than fish.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell