Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hi from Timmins

Started by tiff, September 13, 2008, 05:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiff

I've been lurking on this site for a while and felt it was time I say hi  :)

I have a 55G somewhat planted tank which is hard to do since the only thing I seem to find around here is java ferns. So far I haven't killed anything LOL
I'm a planted tank noob and am learning as much as I can.

dan2x38

Welcome aboard Tiff nice to meet you. There are a lot of plant gurus around here for sure. I am a bit of plant enthusiast if you will. :) What plants do you have or can get there? Do you ever have someone or are you in this area? Before it gets cold you could have some sent to you by Canada Post. There are a lot of members selling in the classifieds. Maybe if you post in the classifieds a few members could put together a plant box to ship for a small cost? ;) Just got to come out the shadows and post... ;) Either way it is nice to meet another plant person.

You can become a card carrying OVAS member too. You can buy your membership at any meeting, Big Al's Innes Road, and online here.

What does your membership bring you you might ask?  8) Well full access to the forums Lounge and Photo Gallery, borrow books from the Library, discounts from OVAS Sponsors and registration on the OVAS Breeders Directory. Not to mention free admission to most special events & speakers.

Thank you hope to CU at our meetings!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Vizerdrix

For a second, I thought the subject was "Hi from Timmies"! :D

Welcome Tiff!  I'm sure you'll find lots of great info here, and don't hesitate to ask questions!

dan2x38

Quote from: Vizerdrix on September 13, 2008, 09:34:30 AM
For a second, I thought the subject was "Hi from Timmies"! :D
Of course Vizie you'd think that...  :P

For sure Tiff great place to post questions to get some help/tips.
Voltaire:

tiff

Thanks for the warm welcome !!!
Presently my tank looks like this...
I have corkscrew vals, ludwigia repens, a large amazon sword, some java fern (wisteria) and two little anubias nanas and some algae on the side  :D
In Timmins, I've only been able to find normal java ferns and banana plants, the one store that did care plants occasionally closed last month and even then their favourite plant was the purple waffle. LOL
The tank is about 9months old and I'm running a Marineland C-360 for filtration.
I have 2watts/gallon of Compact Florescent 7000K (110watts) over the tank and am dosing with Flourish and Flourish Nitrogen since my nitrates are 0. :-\
I'm going to be trying my hand at DIY CO2 and once comfortable I'll take the plunge into compressed CO2 and dry ferts.
I'd love some hand-me down plants since it's hard find anything here.

[attachment deleted by admin]

dan2x38

Nice tank... post in the classifieds asking for some plants to be shipped... of course you will have a pay a little...

Sounds like a nice set-up and you seem to know something about plants already.
Voltaire: