Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

28 gallon Planted Trophy Tank

Started by touchofsky, March 10, 2012, 04:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchofsky

In early October, 2011, I purchased this tank from my local fish store.  It had been a display model in the shop.  I had been looking for a tank to house my two angelfish, so it had to be around 30 gallons, but I needed something with a small base because of a heating vent on the wall I wanted to use.

Tank:  28 gallon Atasuki Trophy Tank
Light:  2 x Aqueon T5 dual bulb fixture, 14 w x 4, 7.5 hours daily
Substrate:  Pool Filter Sand, Flourish tabs
Filtration: AquaClear 200
Heat:  Tronic heater set at 76 f.
Fauna:  2 half black angelfish, 3 julii corydoras, 2 bandit corydoras, bristlenose pleco
Flora: Ammania gracilis, Echinodorus Amazonica, Echinodorus tenellus, Bacopa caroliniana, Anubias barteri coffeefolia, Ludwigia repens, Hydrocotyle leucocephala, Cryptocorne lucens, Cryptocorne undulata
Pictures show progress of plants from late October until end January.

pm

Very nice!  Quite impressive without co2  :)

charlie

Quote from: pm on March 10, 2012, 05:23:40 PM
Very nice!  Quite impressive without co2  :)
X2 , thanks for sharing.
Errol

touchofsky

Thanks, both of you.  I do dose with Excel daily, and fertilize a couple of times of month with Flourish Comprehensive.  I have also added NPK, when the ludwigia looked a bit pale a couple of months ago.

sas

Beautiful. :)
Nice job fitting a tank into a specific spot.
Obviously you suffer from an advanced form of
MTS ;D.

exv152

Very nice tank. I like seeing planted tanks done without co2, and I like the unique tank design.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Monte

Very nice tank. I love the shape.

Great looking plants, you did a great job.   ;)
40 Gallon Breeder

touchofsky

Quote from: sas on March 10, 2012, 07:55:40 PM
Beautiful. :)
Nice job fitting a tank into a specific spot.
Obviously you suffer from an advanced form of
MTS ;D.

Yes, I sure do.  i currently have 8 various tanks in my living space, and 3 tanks in the basement with pond fish.  I think I need one more to make an even dozen  ;D

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I appreciate them!

Peekay

Such an interesting tank, and you've really laid it out well given the shape. 

Pretty angels too!

touchofsky

Thank you  :)  The shape was a challenge, in a way.  It took me several weeks of looking to find a piece of wood that would suit the shape. 

My angels were just very tiny juveniles when I first bought them.  One had a body size of a dime and the larger one was nickel sized.  I have this tank in my bedroom, and I find the angels very relaxing to watch, since they glide so effortlessly around the tank.

sylros

Awesome tank, I can't wait for you to see mine to tell me what I can do better. I've some of the same plants and they don't look as good as yours.

Did you just put pool sand in the bottom?

Beautiful shaped tank, never seen such a shape before.

touchofsky

Yes, it is just pool filter sand, and I have used a variety of substrate fertilizer tabs, including Flourish, API and Osmocote Plus gel caps.  I also dose with Excel (3 mls) daily, and give a bit of Flourish Comprehensive a couple of times a month.  I also once gave a bit of the NPK that I dose my CO2 tank with when one of the plants looked a little pale.  It is really just watching the plant growth, and acting when needed.

I was looking for a tank for my bedroom, and was happy when I saw this one in the window of my lfs.  The unusual shape suited the wall that I wanted to put it on.  I have the light on a timer to be on in the evening so that I can enjoy the tank when I am reading before bed  :)

bettabreeder

beauty of a tank. love the shape of it!