New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Monthly Meeting - May 29th

Started by OVAS-News, May 13, 2017, 04:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OVAS-News

The second meeting for the month of May will be a busy one.  :P  This meeting is the regular meeting and will take place on Monday, May 29th 2017 at <a href="https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tom+Brown+Arena/@45.408107,-75.724983,768m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce04474b273351:0x9d83f6d8bc08c723!8m2!3d45.4079329!4d-75.7230167?hl=en">Tom Brown Arena[/url] starting at 7:00 PM. Tom Brown Arena has plenty of free parking and is close to the OC Transpo transit routes. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We will start off the meeting with very important club business.  The annual OVAS Elections will take place in which OVAS Members can vote for the Executive Members for the 2017/2018 season.  We look forward to seeing some new volunteers out to help with the running of the club.  If you enjoy the club's activities, have some new ideas, or just want to be available to assist, it would be greatly appreciated if you ran for one of the many positions that are available.  If you wish to volunteer, please state your intentions in this OVAS Elections thread.  Persons interested in running should be at the meeting.

Some extra info about the OVAS Executive you may want to know:

• Executive meetings usually take place in the second week of each month.  Exact date and location is TBD the week prior.
• Being on the executive isn't hard or scary
• The current executives will be available to help you if needed
• The Giant Auction is probably the only event in which requires the most planning.  Additional volunteers are sought out to help run the Giant Auction.
• The season starts on September 1st and ends on August 31st.  Nothing really happens from June to August except for the possibility of a BBQ.
• OVAS Members must be in good standing to run for an executive position
• Your membership will be paid for by the club

For positions of the OVAS Executive and their duties, please visit the Executive Positions page.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second item we have on the agenda is our speaker, Luke (Dixu Xie) from AquaSense Workshop in Montreal.

Title:  AquaScape with AquaSense
Topic:  Luke will give a hands-on demonstration on aquascaping a planted tank with live plants

Quote from: LukeHi everyone,

This is Luke from AquaSense, the professional aquascaping store in Montreal.  I cannot wait to see you guys again.  This time I will present a step by step aquascaping demonstration with rocks, substrate, driftwood and live plants.  The discussion topics will include the following:

1. Decide what you want to create
2. Layout material selection
3. Equipment and tools selection
4. Plant selection
5. Aquarium structure(dry scape)
6. Aquascaping presentation by hand
7. The 1st month maintenance
8. Common Questions

Best Regards
Luke
AquaSense Workshop Inc.
5530 Saint Patrick Street Unit# 1129
Montreal, QC H4E 1A8 (Google Map)
Tel: 514 800-0790
https://aquasensew.com/
https://www.facebook.com/aquasenseworkshop/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To end the season, the last item we have is the the Fun Planted Fish Bowl Activity Contest. Several OVAS forum members will be presenting a fish bowl or similar that is about one gallon or less.  They will be aquascaping/decorating their bowls based on their own personal preferences, experience and desires but must be able to sustain live plants with the option of live stock.  All though this contest is open to all forum members, OVAS will only be giving out prizes for the top three bowls entered by current OVAS Club Members.  It might be a good ideal to have your OVAS membership card with you at the meeting, just in case we don't know you.

1st Place - $100.00
2nd Place - $50.00
3rd Place - $25.00

Viewing and voting will take place during the meeting.  The winner will be announced at the end of the meeting.  Entrants must be present to accept their prize.

Please visit the Fun Planted Fish Bowl Activity Contest thread on the forum for more info.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this is our last meeting of the season, anyone who has any aquarium related items to sell or give away are encouraged to bring them to the meeting.

Munchies and refreshments will be available as well.

Hope to see you on Monday, May 29th 2017 otherwise see you in the new season.

Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

limmer

I thought I would bring this to everyone's attention.
The meeting this month is not the usual 4th Monday but the 5th Monday.
So Don't show up on Monday May 22.

charlie

If anyone is interested in purchasing products from Aquasense in Montreal, you can do so directly from Luke - 1 1-514-800-0790.
Luke will be coming to Ottawa on Sunday to hang out with some of us and doing the presentation on Monday and is will to bring stuff.
Call him directly

OVAS-News

For those of you who are interested, the OVAS Executive is taking Luke out for supper before the meeting on Monday, May 29th.  They will meet at The Prescott located at 379 Preston Street at 5:00 pm.

The Prescott

Please RSVP to this thread if you are attending.
Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

matttimms49

Hey guys, super bummed to miss this but I'm gonna have to pull out. Sorry have a fun day! :)

Jody

Hi folks
I will be at the dinner

Jody

limmer

matttimms49

Hey, I should be able to make the meeting tonight. I have a couple of items that I would like to sell. How does it work of its not an auction? Is is reasonable to trade or sell?

Cheers,
Matt

Jody

Hi Matt. ,

Just bring in whatever you would like to sell or give away and we typically have a table or two designated for stuff
You make up the price and take the cash.

Jody

matttimms49

Ok great, thanks for the information. If anyone has any Anubias Nana petite or narrow leaf Java fern I would be interested :) or any other plants that would be suitable for a nano tank.

Cheers